Tuesday, June 03, 2008

60 Minutes Makes Me Happy



I saw a great report on 60 minutes back in February ( I know. It's a bit late), that Danes (that's people from Denmark for everyone who didn't see the report...why they don't say they are Denish instead of Danish is beyond me) are the happiest people on earth. Really,Denmark? Oh how quickly we forget about Hamlet and Ophelia, now those were some happy Danes! I'll give them Brigitte Nielson though, she seems like a bowl of laughs. But I'll take Viggo Mortenson. He's half-Dane and half-hot. I digress...

Apparently, high expectations and the pressure we put on ourselves to succeed are to blame for all the misery over here in the States, "That pressure is a result of high expectations; wanting it all is a bacterium that stays with us from youth to old age - wanting a bigger house, fancier car, more stuff. And when we get more, there’s always someone with even more stuff, who's just as unhappy. Some suggest that the unhappiest zip codes in the country are the wealthiest, like the Upper East Side of New York." Hey 60 minutes, that's my zip code. Who said this quote? Some? Who is this "Some" person who suggested this? Dammit - I am happy. Do you have any idea how happy an elevator building with a doorman makes me? I bet "Some" never lived in one of those! Pshawwwww....

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

I cant help but think of George Jefferson, Movin on up,... to the East side, a high rise apartment in the sky.... but he wasn't happy either, he was grumpy all the time, Louise seemed pretty happy though, so "said" Woman do you know George Jefferson seeing as how he is your neighbor and all?

1:54 PM  
Blogger "said" Woman said...

No I don't, but I do keep a black and white publicity photo of "The Jeffersons" in my office that I forged Sherman Helmsley's signature on...I swear. I can also sing a damn fine version of that song too!

2:03 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

i lived in a building with an elevator once.


i treasure that sublet memory.

11:22 AM  
Blogger emily said...

random - I just saw this episode about happiness in Denmark, etc. broadcast on 60 Minutes tonight! and then equally randomly wandered over to this post on your blog. Weird!
What I wouldn't give for an ELEVATOR - who cares about a doorman when you live on the 6th floor of a walk-up??

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home